Language Centre

Purpose designed for language training, this venue has ten well-appointed classrooms all with audio-visual equipment. Classrooms range in capacity from 10-32. The venue is ideal for summer schools and other language training programmes seeking venue space in the summer months. For extra space, combine using it with St Luke’s Chapel which is on the opposite side of the road. Just a short walk from the city, the centre is near  many local attractions such as the Ashmolean and Pitt Rivers museum.

download capacity guide DOWNLOAD FLOORPLAN

A building of the spoken word

The Language Centre is steeped in history. Built in 1906 it started out as the University’s Big Game Museum, housing an impressive collection of stuffed animals, skeletons and pelts accumulated by natural historian and hunter Charles Victor Alexander Peel. Then in the 1920s it became the site of Oxford’s first playhouse, witnessing performances by actors including the young John Gielgud – today this part of the building’s history is commemorated by a blue plaque. In 1938 the Playhouse moved to a purpose-built theatre on Beaumont Street, where you can still find it today. Eventually the building moved to its current use, and since then it has helped generations of Oxford students master foreign languages.

Find out more

How to find us

Language Centre, 12 Woodstock road, Oxford, OX2 6HT

Train – Oxford railway station is approximately a 15 minute walk away or 10 minutes by taxi. Bikes can be hired at the train station or around the city.

Bus – The nearest bus stop is on the Woodstock Road. Information about buses within the city can be found here.

Car – There is no car parking so we recommend using the park and ride system. The nearest car park is Gloucester Green, a five minute walk away.