A building of the spoken word
Like many Oxford building, the Language Centre is steeped in history.
It started out life as the Big Game Museum in the early 1900s. Between 1923 and 1938 it was the site of the first Oxford Playhouse, and has a blue plaque proudly displaying its heritage on the outside of the building.
The Woodstock Road building remained a theatre until 1938, when the Playhouse moved to its current site in Beaumont Street.